JENNIFER CARPENTER INTERVIEW ABOUT EMILY ROSE




You do a lot of psysical contorsion in this movie without the benefit of special effects. How did you prepare for that? They gave me a room full of mirrors, and so I would just play and look and see what I liked and what was scary. And then adrenaline kind of made me bend a little further than I realized I could. Did you ever hurt yourself by bending too far? No. That's the funny thing-when I look back at it a year later, I don't remember any of it hurting or being hard. Was screaming at the top of your lungs take after a taxing process? No. I went to Juilliard so you spend 13 hours a day on voice and speech. But I was really specific about every sound, which I think helps me protect myself. You know,she says she's possessed by six demons, so maybe one's sticking needles in my heart, so that sound would come from there, and the other one might be like chiseling away at my ribs. And also in that room with all the mirrors I would just grunt and growl and see how high I could get and low I could get, and play with diphthongs and vowel sounds. How much research did you do on the real story that was the basis for the movie? I was really excited about making this movie. So I think I did too much research. I looked at everything that I would get my hands on. The book that it's based on is out of print, and I made shore I had a copy. It's an amazing book, probably the best I've ever read. Did you speak with the family of the girl the story is based on? No. I think it would be disrespectful. Do you believe in demons? I believe in possibility, but I'm not shore I believe in demons. Which scene stands out as particularly scary or emotional for you? Doing the exorcism in the bar. Did anything weird happen while you were shooting? Two or three times I was going to sleep, and my radio came on by itself. And the only time it scared me was when it was really loud. What did you think about learning a variety of languages for your role? Fun! I had a good time. They had a tutor for the different languages come in and talk. Which language was the hardest for you? Aramaic.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments: